Council Elections 2018 Deane Rohrlach
To the Dutton Ward Resident
2018 Local Government Elections
Cr Deane Rohrlach
Candidate for re-election Dutton Ward
Light Regional Council
Dear Dutton Ward Resident
My name is Deane Rohrlach and for the last 12 years I have been one of your three Dutton Ward Councillors. I have lived in Kapunda for more than 34 years with my wife Mary and was Principal of Kapunda High School for 18 years.
As your Deputy Mayor for the last 8 years I have been committed to, and if re-elected will remain committed to:
- Acting with honesty, fairness, integrity and transparency.
- Working hard to fully understand issues.
- Doing my best to serve the people in Dutton Ward while making decisions for the good of the whole Council area.
- Promptly addressing concerns from residents and ratepayers.
- Advocating on behalf of individuals and groups in their dealings with Council.
- Promoting mutual goodwill and working together for mutual benefit.
- Respecting individuals and the contribution they can make.
- Handling funds raised through rates carefully and wisely, aiming to get the best value, delivering required services as cost effectively as possible.
- Being creative in looking for ways that give more “bang for the rating buck” while tightly controlling risk. (see examples)
Example 1 – Accelerated Infrastructure Program: My greatest frustration on Council has been the slow pace we have been able to seal roads in Kapunda. The Government’s Accelerated Infrastructure Program, which our CEO helped shape, has led to a $15 m program that will, in two and a half years (instead of 30 yrs.) seal almost every unsealed road in all Council’s towns, provide over $1m paved footpaths and $3m stormwater works, all at no cost to ratepayers. The program is funded by a $3m Government grant, and income from the Gawler River Water Re-use scheme, itself a highly innovative program.
Example 2 – Freight Route, Black Spot and Bridge Funding. Council has been very successful at obtaining Federal and State funding for freight routes (Hancock/Kidman Roads, Perry Rd/East Tce and Kingsbridge Rd), Bridges (Orchard Bridge) and Black Spot (Seppeltsfield Road Roundabout). These generally provide about half the funding, and Council has been willing to fund the rest, greatly improving safety, access and productivity.
Other initiatives I have actively supported:
- In conjunction with Mayor Bill I put up the motion that led to the Government re-introducing Zebra Crossings in SA, enabling Council to install one in Kapunda’s Main Street.
- The introduction of rolling 4-year budgets.
- The Roseworthy Township expansion.
- Tourism plan with specific goals outlined.
- Permanent fix of the lake leak and upgrade of Davidson Reserve.
Concerns Raised by the Community
Over the past twelve years I have strived to address promptly issues raised by community members. I have a mutually respectful working relationship with our excellent staff, who I have found most helpful in quickly resolving problems or improving them whenever possible.
I strongly believe that listening to and working with others is the best way to achieve worthwhile goals. Our current Council has been outstanding in the way all members work together and with Council staff, to arrive at sound, well considered decisions. Meetings are a contest of ideas, not personalities, with enough time for thorough debate of important issues, so that a clear view of the way forward becomes obvious.
I support joint Council/community cooperation on projects to achieve cost effective community facilities and strongly believe Council should continue to look for creative ways to meet community aspirations and create economic development opportunities with minimal rate funding input. Recent examples I have supported that illustrate this approach include:
- The excellent new undercover bowling facilityis an outstanding example of effective Council/Community cooperation, and through greatly increased use by outside groups is justifying the huge voluntary effort put in by many community members.
- The Kapunda Town Square,where an ambitious design is being delivered for hundreds of thousands of dollars less than the cost estimate, through creative redesign, the involvement of community groups and the support of community minded local businesses.
- The Freeling Agriculture Multi-purpose Centrewhich will provide major benefit to the whole Council Area.
Council and Community Involvement
Local Government covers a wide range of often quite complex areas. I believe it is important for me to be as fully informed as possible. I am committed to attending workshops and training sessions and regularly report back to Council. I have found the skills I learnt in 31 years as a school principal useful in helping me quickly identify the key issues in 500 plus page agendas and other areas of Council business.
My involvement in community groups includes: Rotary Club of Kapunda (Secretary); Pines Reserve Committee (Secretary); Kapunda Mural Committee; and the Kapunda Business Alliance (Chair). I also serve on four Council committees, including chairing the Economic Development Panel.
I have the time and the commitment to thoroughly investigate and understand Council issues, to serve effectively on many committees and to promptly address your concerns. I believe I have the skills and experience to serve you and the Council area well.
If re-elected as your Ward Councillor I will continue to:
- Serve your needs to the best of my ability by working with you, elected members and Council staff in a respectful and cooperative manner.
- Support reducing operating costs to provide more funds for roads and other infrastructure renewal and new works by rigorously pursuing spending discipline, reform and responsible growth.
- Promote creative ways to meet community aspirations with minimal rate funding input.
- Promote economic development, better freight routes, water re-use and tourism.
- Promote responsive customer service.
I would be honoured to continue to serve you as Dutton Ward Councillor and seek your support in the coming election. Please feel free to contact me on 0417829631 or firstname.lastname@example.org
My election Facebook page link is https://www.facebook.com/CrDeaneRohrlach/
Authorised by Deane Rohrlach 5 Montefiore St Kapunda SA 5373